The core values are :
- faith-following Catholic teaching
- service-local, national and international,
- social justice- actively involved in society.
The Mission statement is “to call it’s members to grow in faith , and to witness to the love of God through ministry and service”.
The CWL is an inclusive and engaged community of Catholic women inspired by faith. It is a vital participant in the church, a valued partner for social justice, a respected advocate at all government levels; connected to the world.
The patroness of the League is the Blessed Virgin Mary under the title of “Our Lady of Good Counsel”. Her feast day is April 26.
The League crest is a cross, exemplifying faith, surrounded with ten maple leaves representing the provinces of Canada, with the words “ THE CATHOLIC WOMEN’S LEAGUE OF CANADA-FOR GOD AND CANADA” enclosed in an unbroken circle, symbolizing constant service to God and Canada.
The colours of the crest are blue, for the Virgin Mary and the papal colours are white and gold.
The flag is a symbol of faith, unity and purpose.
The League was incorporated federally in 1923.
St. Ann’s CWL was started in 1930. It has been serving our parish and community since then.
The League is officially recognized by the Canadian Catholic Conference of the Hierarchy (now the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops) as a lay association of women.
The League is composed of 4 levels: (Parish level is the grassroots. Diocesan, provincial and national are administrative councils which provide the direction, inspiration, and encouragement required to carry out the programs and projects of the League).
- Parish council
- Diocesan council
- Provincial council
- National council
Membership consists of :
- Fully active member
- Partially active member
- Associate members (non-Catholic)
- Financially supportive member
- Prayer partner
Our CWL supports the following:
- Advokate Life and Educational Services-Abbotsford
- Catholic Missions in Canada
- Christine Lamb Residence-Abbotsford
- Coady Institute-Supporting adult education
- Cyrus Centre-Abbotsford
- Domestic Abuse Services
- Euthanasia Coalition
- Hope for Women Pregnancy Centre-Abbotsford
- Matercare International Canada (safe obstetrical care)
- Priests, Deacon and Sisters’ Appreciation Dinner
- Save a Family Plan-India
- Clare’s Monastery Sisters-Mission
- Warm Zone-Abbotsford
We provide the following :
- 2 High school bursaries
- Gifts for First Communion and Confirmation
- Poor man’s supper on Good Friday
We are able to support these charities financially because of the support of our parish, generosity of the members/parishioners and the community during our bake sales, catering funeral lunches and social events.
We meet once a month.
We invite all women ages 16 years old and over to join.
Our council executive term is 2 years.